Thursday, September 15, 2011

5% Principle

 I think it timely I share a lesson I’ve been re- learning as we begin a new ministry year.
I tend to live life at 110%; I struggle with finding and MAINTAINING balance in life.  After the Great East Japan Earthquake, I threw myself into relief efforts. This was no surprise to those who know me.  I also continued with my PWOC responsibilities (local and regional).  It happened subtly – I lost sight of the 5% principle, relationships began to suffer, and I needed REST.
Wayne Cordeiro, in Leading on Empty states, “If you and I are going to enjoy healing and rest at our very core, we must discover and discern the top 5 percent of life.” P 77.   85% of what we do, anyone can do. Many of these tasks can be delegated (I
NVOLVE women in the work).  10% of what we do someone with training should be able to do.  5% of what I do; only I can do!   I won’t be held accountable for all the needs around me. I will be held accountable for this 5% – for what I’ve accomplished of what HE has asked me to accomplish.
What are my 5% activities? What would a life focused on 5% look like?  Do I truly elevate this 5% above the other 95% of my activities? The higher I elevate the importance of this 5 percent the easier it is for me to make choices which honor these God-given priorities.  I can’t find someone to take my place in these activities because they require my presence.  How I live the 5% validates the other 95% of my life.
I made some painful choices. I had to recharge, reflect and restructure.  I have challenged our local PWOC board to consider their personal 5% as well as our corporate 5%.  This has created freedom and excitement as we follow the passions God has given each of us.  Simplicity has become an oft repeated battle cry in Misawa (though new activities have begun).
I share my 5% to assist as you evaluate your 5%.
  1. A whole-hearted, extravagant, lavish, passionate, intimate relationship with Jesus Christ
  2. A vibrant relationship with Michael
  3. An authentic family – close to God and  one another
    • mentoring my children
    • educating my children
    • caring for my family
    •  FIGHTING for this connection to remain strong, not fatalistically assuming we’ll grow apart as children leave home
  1. A physically healthy body and creative soul
  2. Taking time to enjoy family and friends
  3. A God-pleasing ministry
    • Teaching/ mentoring women
    • inviting women to a deeper relationship with Jesus
    • someday this may well include more missions/relief efforts
Submitted by D’Etta Goecker, Asia Region President
First published at pwoc.org

No comments: