Sunday, July 18, 2010

Me? Meek?

By: De'Etta Goecker

Years ago I realized that many of the English words chosen to define Greek and Hebrew words mean something “different” to me than they did to the translators. Therefore, my first interpretation of the passage may well be different than what the Biblical authors were communicating. One such word that was an EYE-OPENER for me was “meek” or “gentle”. For years I beat myself up because my personality did not match my perception of what it meant to be a “meek woman”.

I prayed for years for “God to infuse me with a meek spirit”. I wasn’t quite sure why God hadn’t chosen to answer that prayer. I knew I was going to get hammered the week that we studied “meekness” in a Precept Sermon on the Mount study.

I was in for a huge surprise.

Gentleness or Meekness is Fruit of the Spirit. Any fruit in my life is produced only as I am in relationship with the Vine (Jesus) and His Holy Spirit. I can’t conjure it up on my own. Explore with me this fruit that the Holy Spirit desires to exhibit in my life.

“Gentleness” – also translated Meek, Mild - Strongs # 4236
*Dr. Spiros Zodhiates – Here are some highlights of this exciting word:

1. Does not denote an OUTWARD expression but an INWARD grace of the soul.

2. Calmness towards God

3. Acceptance of God’s dealings with us, considering them as good in that they enhance the closeness of our relationship with Him.

4. Expressing wrath towards sin

5. In the 3rd Beatitude expresses the blessedness that exists in one’s heart from being actively angry at evil.

6. Meekness is the balance between uncontrolled and unjustified anger and not becoming angry at all no matter what takes place around you.

*Spiros Zodhiates, The Complete Word Study Dictionary: New Testament (Chattanooga, TN, AMG pub. 1992), p 1208.
Check it out! It has very little to do with outward expression. Why do so many authors then focus on the external to validate our “meek spirit”? It’s to be a fruit in all believers’ lives – it’s not a singularly feminine requirement. ::snort:: At it’s root is SURRENDER to God’s dealings…..realizing that even bleak circumstances draw me closer to Him in RELATIONSHIP. It’s an INWARD GRACE. Meekness is a BALANCE between doing nothing and uncontrolled anger and rudeness. In its very make up it involves TAKING A STRONG STAND…..but it involves grace and balance. At times I’ve been guilty of uncontrolled anger characterizing my life. At other times I’ve swung to passivity. Neither is to be our godly stance when confronted with sin or an evil society.

God had worked meekness into my life as I prayed for him to root it out and to grace me with what I considered to be “meek”. Amazing.

As I contemplate a new school year, a new season of ministry, I think of this word again. I want my life to exhibit a meek spirit….a calmness, a surrender, a balance between ignoring sin and killing the sinner…..I want to be filled with His spirit which will lead to a life of meekness.

Here are a few other spots in Scripture where this word is used – with the definition above.

I Cor. 4:21 – Paul asks if he should come with a rod or a spirit of meekness
2 Cor 10:1 – Paul beseeches believers by the meekness of Christ
Gal 5:23 – a fruit of the Spirit
Gal 6:1 – Spirit that restoration with which restoration is to take place
Eph 4:2 - Show love for one another with meekness
Col 3:12 – we are to put on meekness
I Tim 6:11 – flee immorality and follow among other things meekness
2 Tim 2:25 – our teaching is to be in meekness
Titus 3:2 – we are to show meekness to all men

No comments: